Friday, January 4, 2019

THE PITTSBURGH STEELERS HARSH RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN FAN AND ORGANIZATION


The Pittsburgh Steelers’ 2018 season ended abruptly as the Ravens defeated the Browns on Sunday, and boy does it hurt.
For those of you who don’t know me personally, my name is Michael O’Brien. I stand around 5’8 at 190 lbs and carry a multicolored beard consisting of different shades of red and brown. My Irish heritage resembles the Rooney family as both the Rooney’s and myself value hard work, dedication, and The Pittsburgh Steelers.
This past Christmas, I was delighted to open a box filled with white present paper. It was just translucent enough to see black and yellow shine through. I was positive that this was a Steelers jersey. Better yet, it was the home jersey of 2017 first round pick TJ Watt. I was filled with joy, seeing that my last few jerseys hadn’t paid off in the long run (stay tuned for an explanation). Little did I know I was only going to be able to wear this jersey once during the 2018-2019 season, as the Steelers were eliminated from playoff contention because Lamar Jackson and the Ravens defense were able to fend off the slightly less coordinated Cleveland Browns.
Not being able to make the playoffs has put a dagger in not only my own heart, but to the hearts of many Steelers fans around the country. Every Steelers fan should feel the same exact hurt, because our team is unbelievably laughable when it comes down to the wire.
Here are the things that have frustrated me the most as a Steelers fan.
ON THE ROAD BELOW .500
We have a terrible trend of losing to teams we most certainly should blow out. I get it, “Any NFL team can beat anyone!”. While this statement might be true, why do the Steelers always seem to play down to their competition? Take a look at some of these woes:
WEEK 1 – Tied Cleveland Browns with Tyrod Taylor starting Week One
WEEK 3 – Barely beat Bucs by 3 points on the road in a game where Ryan Fitzpatrick threw 3 interceptions
WEEK 11 – Barely beat Jags on the road when they were playing their worst football and Ben magically dove into the endzone at the very end.
WEEK 12 – Lost to the Denver Broncos at Mile High
WEEK 14 – Lost to Jon Gruden’s Raiders in Oakland.
All of these examples are times where the Steelers weren’t outmatched by any stretch of the imagination; they simply didn’t play their best football on the road against invalid teams. This isn’t a recent thing either. Take a look at some of the games from years past:
WEEK 3 2017 – Lost to pre-Matt Nagy, Khalil Mack Bears on the road in overtime.
WEEK 10 2017 – Barely beat Jacoby Brissett led Colts (Won on game winning FG from Chris Boswell)
WEEK 12 2017 – Barely beat Deshone Kizer led Packers (Won because of amazing Antonio Brown catch and Chris Boswell Kick)
WEEK 3 2016 – Absolutely killed by Eagles in Philly before Wentz’s breakout. (PHI 34 – PIT 3)
WEEK 6 2016 – Lost to Dolphins in Miami (this one speaks for itself)
It would be safe to say that I am more confident that we are going to lose on the road against crappy teams opposed to us beating good teams at home. I’m tired of seeing this happen. A win against the Raiders, Browns, or Broncos gives us a spot in the playoffs.
THE OFFICIATING
While I know officiating goes both ways, I feel that we have gotten absolutely flaked out of a playoff berth this year. There are three officiating mishaps that stick out in my mind this season that changed our outcome drastically.
  1. The missed false start against the Chargers that gave them a free touchdown.
  2. The terrible pass interference call against the Saints that gave them a free touchdown.
  3. The fumble blown dead that the Browns ran back against the Ravens, which stripped them of a touchdown.
I understand this is horrible analysis and I should focus on the team instead of the officials but it’s hard to not leave my two cents in this post. It’s foolish of me to focus on these things, but like I said earlier, I am bitter from this season.
DISCIPLINE
Another year, another 1,000 yard season! You thought I was talking about Antonio Brown? No. Our team has given up the 3rd most yards due to penalties at a whopping 1026! Can we figure it out? It seems like year in and year out the Steelers can’t get out of their own way, and I blame that on the coaching staff entirely.
The coaching staff also has me infuriated. Mike Tomlin has missed on an incredible amount of challenges this season, as I can’t remember the last time I saw the red flag on the field and didn’t expect to lose a timeout. The waste of timeouts also is something that boils my blood, considering it always comes back to bite us.
Over the years the lack of discipline on and off the field has been annoying. Le’Veon Bell tweeting late at night, Antonio Brown throwing a fit on the sideline, Ben shunning our quarterback of the future, and many other examples of Mike Tomlin’s lack of control continue to make us a target for the all the NFL jokes and banter. My last two Jerseys I had received were Martavis Bryant and Le’Veon Bell. You can see why I wouldn’t want to wear them anymore right?
LOOKING BACKWARDS AND FORWARDS
The team’s lack of success has been extremely taunting as we continue to have one of the most explosive and talented rosters in the league and keep coming up short. Here are our results since 2011:
2011 – Lost to Tim Tebow and the Denver Broncos in the Wild Card
2012 – 8-8 Season
2013 – 8-8 Season
2014 – Lost Wild Card to Ravens
2015 – Lost Divisional to Broncos
2016 – Lost AFC Championship to Patriots
2017 – Lost to Blake Bortles and the Jacksonville Jaguars at Heinz Field in the Divisional Round
2018 – 9-6-1 Season
Is this a joke? One shot at a conference championship over the past 8 years? It’s unbelievable considering the talent we have had on this team. We continuously see year after year that regardless of what group of studs we have on the field the decisions on the sideline come back to bite us. Things like converted 3rd and 20’s and Chris Hogan being the most wide open wide receiver in 2018 are things that can be avoided on the practice field. Going for it on fourth down with a fake punt instead of our offense adds to the list.
All Steelers fans want is another Super Bowl, being on the cusp of a championship is the most heartbreaking thing in the world. We are always in the mix but never come out on top and this is why it hurts the most to be a fan of the Pittsburgh Steelers. At least as a fan of the Browns you knew what to expect.
The Steelers are now facing a predicament. Ben is only getting older, and the rest of the AFC North is getting younger. The Browns and Ravens have their quarterbacks of the future, and the division is getting scary. So, as much as I can rant, the Steelers aren’t in the playoffs. All fans should expect a turbulent offseason because something needs to be done.

No comments: